Saturday, July 25, 2009

Solange responds to criticism


Solange Knowles has released the following statement about her haircut with the following responses. I must say that after reading this I  totally agree and love her even more... fight the social constructs of beauty! Let's also not forget that it isn't Amber Rose who first shaved their head but Grace Jones back in the 1970s, or even India.Arie in 2006 while she was promoting her third album! 

"Listen, if I wanted to make a statement I would have twitpic’d a photo shoot, ect. I was simply taking my son to school. Stupid paps took my pic. I’ve had my hair cut like this for two weeks. I was NOT inspired by anyone but myself. I have done this twice in my life. I was 16. I was 18. Did not care about your opinion then. Don’t care now. Don’t need your attention or your co-sign. Don’t want an edge up or a perm, because I’m not trying to make this “a style” or a statement. I just wanted to be free from the bondage that black women sometimes put on themselves with hair. This phase of my life I want to spend the time, the energy and the money on something else and not in the hair salon. I’m not mad at all of you that have made your opinions known and have sent negative energy my way. I expected this of you, and you have the right to have an opinion. So do I"

No comments:

Post a Comment